The One with I am Charlotte Simmons

Wednesday, August 12, 2020

511. Title & Author: I am Charlotte Simmons by Tom Wolfe (676 pages)
Genre: Fiction--Novel 
Completed: 9 August 2020


Summary & Review:

Leaving behind her tiny hometown deep in the mountains of North Carolina, Charlotte Simmons embarks on what is sure to be a stellar academic career at the most prestigious university in the country: Dupont. Unfortunately, her small-town upbringing has left her woefully unprepared to navigate the treacherous world of the modern college campus.


Regardless of the subject, Tom Wolfe is able to write an entertaining book. I’ve read books by him, both fiction and non, covering the space program, race relations, college sports, and modern art. All of them were good reads. This book was no exception. What makes that even more impressive is that I enjoyed this book even though the main character was very unlikeable. She was narcissistic and shallow and had an ego way out of proportion with her talents. 


Wolfe was most impressive with his insight into modern college life. He set this book in the early 00s about the same time I was in college so I could confirm many of his observations. 


Rating: 7.0

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Total Pages Read

177,807