The One with Shadow Puppets

Wednesday, March 5, 2014
288. Title & Author: Shadow Puppets by Orson Scott Card (375 pages)
Genre: Fiction—Science Fiction
Completed: 22 February 2014

Summary & Review:
The power struggles on a newly divided Earth continue as Peter Wiggin, Ender’s older brother, continues to try and consolidate power under the office of the Hegemon. However, his most dangerous adversary, Achilles, continues to be one step ahead. When Peter sees the opportunity to capture Achilles and try to bring him under his command, he takes it despite the protests of Bean and Petra. Knowing the danger Achilles brings wherever he goes, Bean and Petra flee to start a life together. Their travels eventually take them to Damascus where their old battle school friend Alai has been made Caliph under a united Muslim world. With the help of Alai, they can effectively challenge the growing Chinese empire that Achilles catalyzed.

This was another enjoyable entry in the Enderverse. Many people who read Ender’s Game (#186) complained that the subsequent books in the series were radically different. While this is true, I still liked the rest of the original Ender’s Quartet. However, it seems to me that those that liked Ender’s Game but weren’t too fond of the rest would like all of the Shadow Series. These books continue in an uninterrupted timeline from Ender’s Game and are much less philosophical. Personally, I like them all.

I started this book the day before we took a trip to Barcelona, Spain for our four-day weekend. During the trip I didn’t have too much time to read, but finally got some time on the flight back to Munich. As I’m sitting on the plane, the book is talking about Bean and Petra spending time in Catalonia, Barcelona being their favorite city, and getting married in the cathedral of La Sagrada Família! It’s funny how that works sometimes. I had just been there and now here I was reading about it in an Enderverse book!

Rating: 7.5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Total Pages Read

177,807