The One with An Officer and a Spy

Wednesday, March 26, 2014
289. Title & Author: An Officer and a Spy by Robert Harris (429 pages)
Genre: Fiction—Historical Fiction
Completed: 23 March 2014

Summary & Review:
In 1894, the French army was rocked with the revelation that a spy had been working in their midst passing information to the Germans. The man convicted was young Jewish captain, Alfred Dreyfus, and he was sentenced to exile and imprisonment on a deserted tropical island off the coast of South America. After taking over as chief of the secret intelligence section of the army, Colonel Georges Picquart discovers the case against Dreyfus was little more than rumor, hearsay, and anti-Semitism. Even after Piquart discovers the identity of the real spy, the top Generals in the army refuse to reopen the case and shut down anyone who dares question the “Dreyfus affair.”

This book is a novelization of actual events and I thought it was fascinating. Robert Harris often writes historical fiction, and his talent at doing so is what has made him my favorite contemporary author. He is able to transport the reader to worlds and scenarios far outside the reader's realm of familiarity—e.g. ancient Rome, and in this case nineteenth century France—with ease. This book was no exception. Harris deftly dramatized the actual invents using Picquart as the narrator allowing the reader to uncover the truth behind the Dreyfus affair in much the same way Picquart did, in bits and pieces until the whole of the terrible conspiracy was made plain.

It was also fun to read about locations I am increasingly familiar with such as Bayreuth, which is only a forty-five minute drive away.

Rating: 8.5

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the recommendation. I went through your entire blog of book reviews and noted a fairly long list of books to read (I'm trying to read 60 new books this year). Oh, btw, I found you through your wife's amazing blog...anyway, I checked this book out from the library, picked it up on Monday afternoon and finished it Wednesday afternoon. Superb! Definitely will check out more by Robert Harris, plus, I recommended this book to a friend who is a homeschool mom and history buff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I'm glad you enjoyed this one! Harris is my favorite contemporary author and I'm sure you'll enjoy his other novels. I'd recommend Enigma next.

      Delete

Search This Blog

Total Pages Read

177,807