Genre: Nonfiction—Essays & Travel
Completed: 3 June 2013
Summary & Review:
In this collection of essays, Jon Krakauer explores the many facets of mountaineering and climbing. He details his attempt to climb the infamous Nordwand of the Eiger, chronicles one of the deadliest climbing seasons on K2, and follows along in the unique canyons and caves of the American Southwest among other outdoor adventures.
When I picked up this book off my in-laws’ shelf I thought the whole book was going to be about the Eiger and the history of mankind’s attempts to conquer this mountain. Only after I started reading did I realize this was actually a collection of essays about a wide range of mountains and locations, with only the first essay being about the Eiger. Climbing isn’t one of my interests, but the essays were all pretty entertaining nonetheless. It was intriguing to read about locations I was absolutely unfamiliar with.
Rating: 7.0

No comments:
Post a Comment