The One with The Fault In Our Stars

Wednesday, May 29, 2013
260. Title & Author: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (318 pages)
Genre: Fiction—Young Adult 
Completed: 19 May 2013 

Summary & Review: 
Despite the somewhat successful medication that is keeping her cancer at bay, Hazel still lives a life limited by her illness. Her lungs require a constant oxygen flow pumped into them and she must take the medication constantly to maintain even this lowered quality of life. Yet, these challenges seem to fade away when she meets Augustus at her support group. Augustus and Hazel begin a romance that they both know will not end happily, but they press forward anyway, striving to enjoy what life they have left, together.

Paige read this book a few weeks back and seemed to like it, so I thought I’d read it, too. Green has a very entertaining writing style which made the pages pass by quickly. On the whole, I enjoyed the book as well. But, it was a strange young adult book. First of all, the themes contained within the story were very heavy. A lot of the story was concerned with death and all its consequences, including how those who are about to die deal with it and how those left behind cope. Do teens want to read about this? I don’t know, but if they do, Green did an admirable job of presenting these issues thoughtfully and offered many chances for introspection and reflection on what it means to live and die.

Rating: 7.0

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this book a lot but it was definitely heavy and made me think about death a lot which scares me.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Total Pages Read

177,807