The One with Piet Mondrian

Wednesday, April 18, 2012
223. Title & Author: Piet Mondrian by Susanne Deicher (94 pages)
Genre: Nonfiction—Art History
Completed: 27 March 2012

Summary & Review:
Art historian Susanne Deicher presents a biographical sketch of the iconic Dutch painter Piet Mondrian along with analysis of the various stylistic periods of Mondrian’s work. Included in this book are numerous full color reproductions of Mondrian’s paintings.

I didn’t exactly enjoy this book, and that is not wholly due to the fact that I find Mondrian’s work monotonous. I thought that Deicher’s analysis of Mondrian’s work was terrible. Dozens of times throughout the book Deicher would make pronouncements about the paintings that made no sense at all. For example, one time she stated that a later work of Mondrian that was basically a grid of black lines on a white backing was reminiscent of Renaissance Classicism. Mondrian = Leonardo = DOES NOT COMPUTE. Or, that another sparse canvas was the equivalent of Rembrandt. I could go on and on. One side of me can’t blame her, because with paintings like Mondrian’s, how can you write meaningful analysis? There is nothing there.

Rating: 4.0

2 comments:

  1. I disagree. While the author of this book may have been off base comparing Mondrian to Di Vinci (that is ridiculous), Mondrian's impact on art is still very relevant. Whether you believe in all his Neo Plasticism stuff or not, he has been extremely influential in the design world and spent a lifetime perfecting balance in his work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto reference the book the parallels and conclusions are ridiculous, his greatness lies in the ability to create images that have inspired countless new designs this, I think, would have pleased him greatly

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Total Pages Read

177,807