7. Title & Author: Pompeii by Robert Harris (274 pages)Genre: Fiction--History & Thriller
Completed: 27 June 2007
Summary & Review:
This book tells the tale of the devastating volcanic eruption of Mount Vesuvius by following the life of Marcus Attilius, an engineer for the Roman Aqua Augusta for the two days previous to the eruption and the two during the terror of it. It is also filled with extremely interesting insights into Roman engineering and life in the towns near Vesuvius.
I really enjoyed this book. Like I noticed while reading Imperium (#6), Harris is excellent with words and is able to write so that the reader can imagine everything that is going on, even in completely foreign time and place (the Roman Empire) or experience (a volcanic eruption). The plot within the historical framework was entertaining and allowed Harris to take an interesting angle on the infamous eruption and on the city of Pompeii. Imperium was good enough that I wanted to read this, and this was good enough that I want to check out his other novels too. Here is my favorite quote: (said the day before the eruption) "Here's a piece of advice for you, my friend: there's no safer investment than property in Pompeii." (108)
Rating: 9.0
No comments:
Post a Comment