White Fang

Wednesday, January 1, 2025

583. Title & Author: White Fang by Jack London (202 pages)

Genre: Fiction–Adventure

Completed: 29 December 2024


Summary & Review:

Raised in the harsh, unforgiving wilds of the Yukon, White Fang ekes out a hard existence with his mother, a wolfdog half-breed. When they are taken into an Indian camp, White Fang now faces new and even more brutal challenges. His nature hardens and he becomes full of hate and ferocity, doing everything he can to survive. Throughout his life he experiences  nothing but pain and abuse until he is rescued from an illegal dog fight by Weedon Scott whose patience, care, and love transform White Fang.


What a great book! Jane read this for her homeschool curriculum and loved it so much she insisted I read it. I am glad I did. The first two-thirds of the novel were heartbreaking. London spared nothing in his description of the brutality of man and nature. But, this served to make the final third even more satisfying as White Fang is finally able to leave all that behind and become wholly devoted to Scott, a man who actually deserves that devotion. 


I loved the Weedon Scott character. He is a man that you don’t see anymore. Someone competent in his profession, confident in his culture, and honorable in all aspects of his life.


Rating: 9.0


Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Total Pages Read

177,807