Genre: Fiction--Novel
Completed: 11 July 2021
Summary & Review:
SPC Tom Walton is nearing the end of his enlistment in the US Army. With only about a year left in his commitment, he spends a weekend in nearby Montreal and meets a girl, Amy, with whom he falls immediately in love. During his deployment to Afghanistan, Walton continues to develop feelings for this girl as he faces life or death situations and comes to terms with modernity.
I’m not sure if I just had the wrong expectations of this book, but I didn’t love it. The first almost third of the book was about his initial encounter with Amy and the final third of the book was about the growth and ultimate death of their relationship. Only the middle third really focused on the character's time in service and in war. That was what I really wanted to read about. I’ve enjoyed reading books and watching series about our (waste of money and lives) wars in Iraq and Afghanistan but really this novel was much more focused on young love.
Finlay is obviously a smart guy and he would (at times, randomly) wax philosophical or political in the book. But, overall, I was disappointed.
Rating: 4.5

No comments:
Post a Comment