The One with Into Thin Air

Wednesday, June 15, 2016
355. Title & Author: Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster by Jon Krakauer (291 pages)
Genre: Nonfiction—Memoir
Completed: 7 June 2016

Summary & Review:
Tasked to accompany a professionally guided expedition to the summit of Mt. Everest, journalist and mountaineer Jon Krakauer joins the fateful 1996 Adventure Consultants team. Led by an expert and respected Kiwi guide, Rob Hall, Jon is successful in reaching the summit. The descent, however, becomes a living nightmare.

Paige and I recently watched the movie Everest, a dramatized retelling of these tragic events. After watching that, Krakauer’s book didn’t hold a lot of new information as I was hoping it would. I thought I’d get the “real” story, but I guess the movie held pretty true to actual events. The book did offer a lot more detail about the lead up to the summit attempt which I thought was pretty interesting. As I read about the misery people go through in those high altitude, freezing conditions, I kept thinking, “Why would anyone put themselves through this?”

You can also read my review of Krakauer's Eiger Dreams here.

Rating: 6.0

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Total Pages Read

177,807