Genre: Nonfiction--Economics
Completed: 15 April 2016
Summary & Review:
Economist Henry Hazlitt presents the classical/Austrian economic answers to topics such as inflation, union labor, minimum wage, price fixing, and deficit spending in this short, accessible book. One of the key points in economics, according to Hazlitt, is to ensure that the problem is seen as a whole, and not in fragments "for many things that seem to be true when we concentrate on a single economic group are seen to be illusions when the interests of everyone, as consumer no less than as producer, are considered." (183)
I was able to read this book via a free PDF download from the Mises.org website. Hazlitt very deftly dismantled arguments that are still heard today regarding minimum wage and government monetary policy, among other things. This book was written shortly after the end of World War II in the 1940s, more than 70 years ago, but the same fallacies are still being promoted today. I'll post a longer "Arguments Summed Up" post in a couple weeks to more fully present Hazlitt's excellent points.
Rating: 7.5

I'll look forward to your follow-up.
ReplyDelete