Genre: Nonfiction—Humor
Completed: 30 January 2016
Summary & Review:
Comedian Jim Gaffigan, the father of five young children, offers his commentary and observations about family life. Each chapter is a short comedic essay on some aspect of raising his kids in New York City and how he and his wife deal with living in a small, two-bedroom apartment with their rambunctious family.
A few months ago I read Gaffigan’s second book, Food: A Love Story (#333). I’m glad I read that one first, because if I had read this one first I probably wouldn’t have gotten around to reading Food, which is a much funnier book. While this book was short than his second, Gaffigan seemed to run out of new material pretty quickly. It was largely repetitive with Gaffigan making jokes about raising a “basketball team” and living with them in a “small, two-bedroom apartment.” I will admit, though, that at times Gaffigan was spot on in his observations about parenting and the behavior of children. But, it just wasn’t as consistently funny as Food.
Rating: 6.0

No comments:
Post a Comment