The One with the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Wednesday, August 26, 2015
329. Title & Author: The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (215 pages)
Genre: Fiction—Science Fiction & Humor
Completed: 25 August 2015

Summary & Review:
Waking up to discover that his house is about to be demolished, Arthur Dent’s day is off to a rough start. Things only worsen, however, when his friend Ford Prefect informs him of a few unexpected facts: he, Ford, is an alien and the Earth is about to be destroyed so they had better hitch a ride off it sooner rather than later. Good thing they have in their possession the best travel guide in the universe: The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.

This was a very British book. The humor is incredibly dry and a little absurd. I thought it was consistently funny throughout and there were some great deadpan lines. I wasn’t familiar with all the backstory behind the Hitchhiker’s series before I read this so I came at it with no preconceptions or expectations. It was bizarre and entertaining and funny and strange all at once.

Apparently there are five books in the “trilogy” (British humor again) and I think I’ll probably read the second one at some point.

Rating: 6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Total Pages Read

177,807