The Second One with Pompeii

Wednesday, January 14, 2015
313. Title & Author: Pompeii by Robert Harris (278 pages)
Genre: Fiction—History & Thriller
Completed: 3 January 2015

Summary & Review:
This book tells the tale of the volcanic eruption from Mount Vesuvius by following the life of Marcus Attilius, an engineer for the Roman Aqua Augusta for the two days previous to the eruption and the two days during the terror of it. It is also filled with extremely interesting insights into Roman Engineering and life in the towns near Vesuvius.

I just recycled my summary of this book from its first appearance on this review list (#7). Apparently, back then I didn’t write very long summaries, and reading it I didn’t really do justice to how entertaining the story is. Recently, Paige and I went and saw a movie titled Pompeii, but unfortunately it was not based on this book. The movie was just a gladiator movie followed by a destruction movie. Lame. This book is excellent and would have made a tremendous movie. Half the fun is the fact that you as the reader already know the end so you get to enjoy all the hidden clues of what is about to happen that the characters in the story miss.

This is the first book that I’ve re-read since I started this book review list and has appeared on here twice. Why did I read this one again? Besides the fact that I really like it, I read it in preparation for our upcoming trip to the Bay of Naples and the ruins of Pompeii.

Rating: 9.0

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Total Pages Read

177,807