Genre: Fiction—Thriller
Completed: 20 September 2014
Summary & Review:
While resting and recovering in the English countryside, Israeli spy and art restorer Gabriel Allon is approached by his old friend Julian, an art dealer in London, to help him recover a stolen Rembrandt. As Allon delves into the murky history of the painting, he uncovers the truth behind a certain Swiss businessman’s massive wealth: it was built on the goods and money stolen from European Jews as they were deported to concentration camps during the war.
I have yet to tire of Silva’s Gabriel Allon series. In fact, now that we are living in Europe and have had the chance to visit some of the great cities of the world here, I enjoy the books even more. As Allon walks down the Hauptbahnstrasse in Zurich, I can place him perfectly having strolled down that myself. We are so lucky to get to live here!
A lot of the appeal of this series really hinges on the fact that it often deals with two of my favorite subjects, art history and the Second World War. With that formula, Silva could be a much less capable writer and I would still probably like the series. But, since on top of the subject matter Silva is an excellent thriller writer, it makes it even better.
Rating: 8.0

No comments:
Post a Comment