Genre: Nonfiction—Philosophy & Politics
Completed: 1 June 2014
Summary & Review:
French classical liberal philosopher Frédéric Bastiat presents his views on the proper role of the law and government in society. Man is the sum of his life, faculties, and production, or in others words, his individuality, liberty, and property. In Bastiat’s view, these aspects of man precede and are superior to all human society. Thus, proper laws exist to safeguard these aspects. The law is a collective organization of the individual innate right to the lawful defense of life, liberty, and property.
I plan on posting an “Arguments Summed Up” entry soon to more fully explain this incredible essay. Why was this not mandatory reading in high school? Ideas like these are what America was founded on, yet no one seems to think it is important that students study these in middle and high school. I don’t get it.
While fairly short, this thoroughly explains the proper role of government and law in society. I loved Bastiat’s emphasis that human rights to life, freedom, and personal property do not exist because the law says they do, but that laws and governments exist because those rights do. This essay was on par with John Stuart Mill’s seminal On Liberty (#241).
Rating: 9.5

I read both of your posts. Very interesting...and frustrating because we are so far off course!
ReplyDelete