The One with The Defector

Wednesday, January 15, 2014
282. Title & Author: The Defector by Daniel Silva (469 pages)
Genre: Fiction—Thriller
Completed: 13 January 2014

Summary & Review:
When news reaches Israeli spy/art restorer Gabriel Allon that the man who saved his life in Russia has been kidnapped, he knows he must fulfill his promise by returning to Russia and finding the assailants. But, as Allon is in London researching the man's disappearance, disaster strikes as his own wife is kidnapped by the same people and held as a pawn in a ploy to get Allon. Now dealing with the emotional trauma of his wife's capture, Allon must once again traverse the frozen landscape of Russia leaving blood and death in his path.

I've always enjoyed this series. I love the dichotomy of Allon as a spy and art restorer. Now that I'm living in Europe, I find the settings even more intriguing because I've been to many of the locales portrayed in the book. It's fun to be able to visualize the places where the action is taking place.

Unlike some of the previous books in the Gabriel Allon series, this book did not have a prevalent historical undercurrent to the story. For example, previous books have explored the Catholic Church's role in World War II and the Holocaust by writing a present day plot that unearths those secrets. This book, however, was more of a straightforward thriller, and since Silva is the author he is, it was excellent.

Rating: 8.0

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Total Pages Read

177,807