The One with Ruins

Wednesday, December 25, 2013
280. Title & Author: Ruins by Orson Scott Card (530 pages)
Genre: Fiction—Science Fiction & Fantasy
Completed: 25 December 2013

Summary & Review:
Having broken through the “wall” to escape from the royal forces trying to capture and kill them, Rigg, Umbo, Loaf, Param, and Olivenko face a new world previously unknown by their people. The dangers here are just as real as though they left behind, however, and the small group must stick together to solve an even greater problem. In just three short years, visitors from Earth will arrive on the planet Garden and for reasons unbeknownst to anyone they will return and completely destroy the humans settlers. Using their various skills of time manipulation and travel, Rigg and the others must change the past in order for Garden to have a future. 

This is shaping up to be an excellent series by Orson Scott Card. I am not sure how many books he is planning on including in it, but I am hoping for at least a couple more. The world created here is fascinating and the characters are relatable and intriguing. When my friend Brian Miller read this second installment in the Pathfinder series, he said he liked it even better than the first book, Pathfinder. When he told me that I had just finished Pathfinder and had loved it so I was excited to read this second book. Like Brian, I think I liked this one even better than book 1. That is not to take away anything from Pathfinder, but rather just a statement as to how good Ruins was. The story really develops a lot in this book and as you learn everything about the settlement of Garden, how the humans shaped the world especially the founder Ram, etc., it makes everything even more interesting. I anxiously await book 3, and hopefully books 4, 5, 6.....

Rating: 8.5

1 comment:

  1. Why can't I get into Pathfinder.... I just need to dedicate more time to reading it :)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Total Pages Read

177,807