The One with Hope

Wednesday, May 1, 2013
256. Title & Author: Hope by President Ezra Taft Benson, President Gordon B. Hinckley, President Marion G. Romney, President Howard W. Hunter, and Elders Marvin J. Ashton, James E. Faust, Russell M. Nelson, Joseph B. Wirthlin, Richard G. Scott, Paul H. Dunn, John H. Groberg, Derek A. Cuthbert, J. Richard Clarke, L. Tom Perry, Neal A. Maxwell, M. Russell Ballard, Dean L. Larsen, Robert L. Backman, Gene R. Cook, Robert E. Wells, and Jack H. Goaslind (217 pages)
Genre: Nonfiction—Religion & LDS 
Completed: 29 April 2013 

Summary & Review: 
A collection of talks and sermons from twenty-one General Authorities of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is presented in this volume. Each General Authority presents his words of wisdom and inspiration on the subject of hope. No matter what the cause of despair—be it ill-health, stress, family troubles, personal mistakes, &c.—a chapter in this book addresses it and provides comfort and, of course, hope. 

I read the majority of this book during the week leading up to my taking the WREBs, a dental exam necessary for licensure. I was incredibly stressed about this test, more so than I have been for any other test I can remember, even the DAT. I think it was very serendipitous that I happened to be reading this during that time because many of the authors provided valuable advice and calming words that helped me stay relatively calm and hopeful. 

In addition, I really enjoyed the chance to read chapters written by many General Authorities that I wasn’t previously familiar with. While many of the authors are still alive and I get to hear speak regularly, e.g. Elder Nelson and Elder Ballard, others have passed so this was a great chance to get to read some of their timeless words.

Rating: 8.5

1 comment:

Search This Blog

Total Pages Read

177,807