The One with The Lightning Thief

Wednesday, September 19, 2012
238. Title & Author: Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book One: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (377 pages)
Genre: Fiction—Young Adult, Fantasy & Adventure
Completed: 6 September 2012 

Summary & review: 
Trying to avoid getting kicked out of his sixth school in six years, twelve year old Percy Jackson vows to be on his best behavior during a class field trip to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. However, things do not go according to plan when his supposed math teacher transforms into one of Hades’ Furies and attacks. Percy soon learns that he is no mere mortal boy, but a demigod, a half-mortal half-Greek god, and that puts him at great danger. After training at Camp Half Blood, Percy embarks on a quest to return Zeus’ stolen lightning to avoid a battle between the immortals that would destroy much of the mortal world. More important to Percy, however, is to save his mom from her captivity in Hades’ shadowy court. 

I have read quite a bit of young adult fiction over the years, everything from Harry Potter to the Hunger Games, and Twilight to The Ranger’s Apprentice, and usually I enjoy the easy-going nature of the read. This book was a little more juvenile than I expected, so at times the book was too childish, especially in some of the attempts at humor. But, I think my kids would enjoy reading this when they reach age ten or so. 

Rating: 6.0

1 comment:

  1. I concur with your summary and review whole-heartedly. Perhaps you can read it to Fox when he's a little bit older. That, or The Hobbit like my dad read to me and Eric.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Total Pages Read

177,807