Genre: Fiction—Thriller
Completed: 5 February 2012
Summary & Review:
After leaving CERN where he
worked as a physicist specializing in automated machine reasoning, Alex Hoffman
enters the world of algorithmic hedge funds using his ground breaking VIXAL algorithm.
But over the course of twenty-four hours, beginning with a midnight break-in,
Hoffman realizes the algorithm he created works all too well and is acting
independently of all external human control. In a desperate rush to figure out
what moves the program has made of its own volition, Hoffman will face untold
peril and danger.
I realize
that summary makes the book sound a little hokey, which it isn’t at all,
actually. In the hands of a lesser author, a story hinging on the dangers of
artificial intelligence would have been incredibly boring, a sort of been
there, done that kind of read. Artificial intelligence gone wild isn’t exactly
the most original plot line. But, Harris is such a talented writer that I
really enjoyed this book even though the major theme is slightly trite. He was
able to keep the tension taught and the pace frantic throughout the story.
Additionally,
this book was a rather fascinating look into hedge funds and international finance.
I am by no means savvy when it comes to investing and bonds and various
exchanges of stock, so I thought Harris’ explanations were immensely interesting.
Rating: 8.0

you forgot to mention that your favorite part was the polka dot embossed cover :)
ReplyDelete