
Genre: Nonfiction—Art History
Completed: 24 September 2011
Summary & Review:
Art historian Janis Mink explores the life, times, and work of Spanish artist Joan Miró. Despite the turbulent eras in Spain through which Miró lived, his work was constantly focused on and inspired by the land he loved. Along with the text by Mink, there are dozens of full color reproductions of Miró included in the book, as well as a chronological history of the artist’s life.
Zzzzzzzz….Oh…where was I? I remember now, I was bored to tears. Miró’s work does absolutely nothing for me. I do not find it intriguing, interesting, or even aesthetically appealing. Coupled with that, the text by Mink was unbearably dry, so there was no real redeeming value there to make up for my utter lack of interest in Miró’s work.
I can’t help but think that so much of modern art is just a big scam. How have all these historians, critics, and scholars been seduced by such junk? How can we as a society seriously compare artists like Miró and Kandinsky to Michelangelo and Caravaggio? Someday, history will look back at the twentieth century and assess the art as a low point in the history of Western civilization. I have heard all the erudite and eloquent defenses of modern art, post-modern art, and what have you, and I am not falling for it.
Rating: 2.5
Sorry love. I like his work.
ReplyDelete