
Genre: Fiction—Thriller
Completed: 14 December 2010
Summary & Review:
A chance encounter with a young Costa Rican woman at the grocery store, ends up causing attorney Paul Madriani to be charged as an accomplice to two murders that woman accused of committing. As he investigates the case, he realizes that not only is the woman innocent, but the murders were more than a simple robbery. Someone is trying to cover up a secret in the young woman’s family: a Russian grandfather who has been hiding a nuclear weapon in the Columbian jungle for over 40 years.
I thought Martini’s writing style was pretty intelligent and entertaining, and the plot was an interesting premise. But, as I was reading, I kept wondering why Martini needed 595 pages to write this book? John Buchan (The Thirty-Nine Steps, (#168)) was able to write just as exciting a thriller in only 88 pages. I didn’t think the excessive length was really necessary for Martini to develop the characters or story. However, that was really the only downside to this book.
The Author’s Note at the end was actually one of my favorite parts. Martini offered some very interesting historical details and insights.
Rating: 6.0
No comments:
Post a Comment