The One with Faust

Tuesday, June 3, 2008
I wrote a paper examining the relationship between the writings of Johann Wolfgang von Goethe and the art of Caspar David Friedrich, one of my favorite artists. While learning about Goethe, I became interested in reading something of his, so I did. Here is my review of his masterpiece, Faust.

12. Title & Author: Faust, Part One and Two by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, translated by Philip Wayne (162 pages)
Genre: Fiction--German Romantic Literature
Completed: 30 August 2007

Summary & Review:
This is really considered the crowning achievement in Goethe's prolific career. It is his version of the legend of Faust, a lifelong scholar, who becomes fed up with his limits of knowledge and what he can achieve so he makes a deal with the devil, portrayed as Mephistopheles. If Mephistopheles can bring him true happiness then Faust promises his soul to him. At the end of the poem/novel/play when Faust experiences one fleeting moment of happiness before his death, the Lord intervenes and saves his soul from the devil.

This book was definitely more involved than some of the other ones I've read. It was a slow read, constantly making sure I understood the fairly deep translation; nevertheless, I really enjoyed it. It's a classic. Quote: "Old you grow, yes, but which of you grows wise?" (102)

Rating: 8.0

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Total Pages Read

177,807